Friday, December 15, 2006

In the beginning . . .

So I heard that there are people who live year-round in one of my favourite places in the world, the Lake of the Woods (LOW). They have been kind enough to send e-mail updates regarding things such as the formation of ice on the lake, their travels to town (example below), wildlife etc.

As I am currently removed from one of my favourite places in the world, I read these with great interest. Which got me thinking . . . there must be lots of people in the same situation.

So I thought I would start this blog so that the people who are in the area, initially those in the French Narrows area, could have a central place to deposit their stories, pictures, etc. for all who are interested to see but without the need for lenghty email forwards.

Here's an example of one such email entry:

Lake has gone for "shit" was flying yesterday and there are pressure ridges everywhere. Wednesday we were heading to French Portage for lunch and hit one,doing 60 kms. in little tracker,didn't see it became airborne and Debbie's head cracked windshield.

Sharron has taken over the Queer isl. ice road.She phoned yesterday to say Leonard Boucha will be plowing the ice road through French Narrows this year and not across 12 mile as years
past.They are asking $225.00 per camp owner.The road will start at Skeads landing on Reserve [passable in a front wheel drive car] . East side Scott'y isl over Strawberry , around Queer, branching at Andrew bay and coming towards our places.The road i plowed from 12 mile to our
place cost me over gallons of gas alone not counting all my breakdowns and repairs.We are going to town today and will pay.
If we can hold off the snow and get some cold weather the cracks should heal over and it will be good travelling again.

1 comment:

peter thiessen said...

I'm peter and I'm commenting on Sean's first blog entry.