Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ridges


This picture is of the ridge @ NE corner of Queer Isl.-that is Pipestone Pt. in the background. There was enough room under the ridge that I could crawl through it!!! I cut the ice chunks into little bits and used fire pump to flood the area. I'm hopeful that when I go back in morning it will be solid enough to drive a vehicle over. I tried to do the same to the ridge at Allan's Reef but by the time I got set up my equipment was froze up and nothing would work. So I went visiting at Moore Bay Lodge-ice was good in Moore Bay-drove through there yard and into Andrew Bay -tried to go over the Portage at Bottle Bay but there were 5 trees in a clump over the trail and my chain saw was frozen,had to back out and travel West in Andrew Bay to Dorian Marsh to get home. Will check out the ridge in the morning and if it's froze I will attempt to freeze Allan's Reef.
I froze pine trees at both ridges to mark the safest passage--But if anyone is traveling this route I strongly suggest you do not assume it is safe to cross!!-please check for yourself,

6 comments:

kt said...

i must admit, i did enlarge this picture to see if indeed you may of crawled under this pressure ridge of ice - lol !! after all we all know too well your attraction for living on the edge when it comes to water....

Rick Jackson said...

I was out flying late afternoon on 23rd.
We rec'd 1.5" snow that morning,and they have started plowing from Hansen Bay to Wolf Island and a road up the Welcome Channel.
With the fresh snow it makes the pressure ridges more visible as they are wet and melted the snow.

Anonymous said...

How is the ridges at Allans And Queer? Worse ..better same.?
Merry Christmas

Rick Jackson said...

Just arrived home from wpg. and crossed both ridges by snowmobile,they were both in good shape.
Will need to be cut down to drive a vehicle across--you would get hung up!!
Lots of snowmobilers/fisherman out today sunny,plus 3C

Anonymous said...

Are you driving yet?

Rick Jackson said...

Truck has been in repair shop otherwise yes I would be